Monday, October 1, 2012

Day one.



First of all I will tell you a little about myself. I am Kendalle Alquwaie (formerly Weinberg) I am a kennel attendant at the local humane society, which means my job description is to scoop a lot of poo, and take care of animals, which I love, but I also love art, mainly painting acrylic.

I was an Art major at the University of Northern Iowa where I got many comments that my art was just not up to par in most of my critiques. I admit I painted large paintings and got bored before I finished them. I like to put a lot of detail in my paintings, a ton of rendering, and I paint really tight. 

In my final painting class my professor suggested to paint small, as parts of my big paintings worked, but most looked unfinished. I was burnt out. I didn't like my paintings I didn't like how I painted. I felt I needed a GREAT and INSPIRED idea before I started and I had none. I thought to myself I am not creative, I have no idea what to paint. I stopped painting and worked at the shelter for almost two years.


In August I was browsing the internet and found the painting a day blogs, started by Duane Keiser but now followed by many artists. I decided I will do this, I will make one small painting every day. The next day i went to the art store and I bought supplies, I had paint, i had brushes, but I bought paper and gesso and a drawing board. That night i went home and searched the internet for photos and started painting, I painted for hours working and reworking my painting. In the end I liked the result. 

"Grief" 4"x6" acrylic on gessoed paper

This is my first painting of my painting a day. I finished a painting fully, wooo! A painting a day could be my meditation. I went to sleep that night optimistic. and excited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment